New Hope Get Help From Around the World

Soul Care

Share your thoughts with Dr. Bill in 1Community

Monday, March 9, 2009

A Little but Powerful Prayer for Lent

One of the things I'm doing for Lent is carrying a rock in my pocket. Sounds like a funny thing to do, huh?

It's a prayer rock. I have a number of them. I found this one in Israel at what may have been the Apostle Paul's prison cell at the palace in Caesarea by the Sea.

I use it to remind me to shoot up little arrow prayes as I go about my day: "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain" (the Apostle Paul's words in Philippians 1:21).

Sometimes I breathe in deep and slow as I whisper: "To live is Christ." I hold my breath to help me hold the Spirit and the Word in my consciousness. Then I release: "To die is gain." My exhaling a prayer helps me to let go of agendas and ambitions and to follow Christ's leadership.

The rock and the prayer remind me to turn my thoughts toward Christ and his sacrifice for me and you.

Maybe you've tried a form of Centering Prayer that you'd like to share? Or perhaps you have a way you're celebrating Lent that could encourage others?

6 comments:

  1. I am still thinking of that for the Lent season. I have been overcome with a lot of anxiety lately and your message did encourage me to do just that. I am looking for work and has at times really got discouraged. But your message has been owesome to me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For years I suffered from anxiety myself. Not much anymore. Two things that have greatly helped me prayers of submission to God and practicing Breath Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breath prayers.....
    I submit my every day problems to the Lord, but somehow find it difficult to let go. Even now, speaking a person has left me feeling anxious. And also hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there's no simple to implement "answers" to these things. Letting go is part of submission and it takes practice to learn this. Part of the issue is learning to rely on God's loving presence and affirmation for emotional security and not the opinions and actions of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. breath prayers: now that sounds like the kind of therapy I'm lookiong for! I am full of anxious thoughts as I care for my 91 year old mother and being an only child I carry the whole responsibilit of it. so I get a lot of anxious thoughts.......breathe deeply, let it sit for a minute.....and let it out........yes! I think that that may help loosen the anxiety some! Ib am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrying a pebble or something that reminds one that this is not just another day or month but Lent is something I know will keep me focused on this time and the sacrifice that Jesus made.

    I lost my Grandson 14 years ago in a tragedy at age 3 years. I carried a remembrance in my pocket for several years. It was comforting and a way for me to connect to the wonderful soul of my Grandson, Westley.

    I guess for some fasting provides a constant reminder of Lent and I do fast Good Friday for that reason;never being out of the spirit of Jesus on Good Friday particularly.

    Thanks for the reminder and this blog.

    Happy Easter to all and Shalom
    Jan-Michael

    ReplyDelete

 

1995 - 2009 Crystal Cathedral Ministries.
Legal | Privacy | Contact | Top | Terms of Service