New Hope Get Help From Around the World

Soul Care

Share your thoughts with Dr. Bill in 1Community

Monday, May 18, 2009

Pausing to Breathe a Prayer

I've been learning that prayer can be like breathing - something we do continuously and automatically without even thinking about it. I love using short phrases of Scripture as "Breath Prayers."

Breathing in and out God's Word as I go about my day connects me with God, adds tremendous meaning to my life, and gives me such peace. I've found that there are many "idle" spaces in any given day for prayer moments, like when I'm transitioning from one activity to the next, driving, waiting, getting ready in the morning, or preparing to go to bed at night (or laying in bed awake!).

To offer a Breath Prayer it helps to breathe in deeply and slowly, taking about 10 seconds for a breath. Learn to breathe (and pray) from your stomach - gently.
With each breath or two offer to God your short Scripture prayer.

The last couple of days I've been praying a favorite Breath Prayer inspired by Psalm 39, especially verses 5 and 11...

"My life is a breath... Selah.
I am a breath... Selah.
My life is God's breath... Forever.
I am God's breath... Forever."

(Note that the word "selah" is used in the Psalms and probably means, "Pause to reflect and pray.")

Join me in praying this Breath Prayer right now...

Breathe in deep and slow from your stomach... Hold your breath, longer than normal... Release slowly and gently... Wait to breathe longer than is comfortable to let your body feel the longing for God's Word and Spirit...

Without even using any words your breathing is expressing your prayerful intention to connnect with God...

Gently repeat this breathing prayer (You may need to practice this for it to become natural and easy and be able to experience being in the flow of the Spirit of God!)

Now, as you breathe in whisper God's Word: "My life is a breath"... Hold God's Word inside you... Release as you you whisper: "Selah"... Wait to breathe as you feel your longing for God...

Slowly and gently repeat for each phrase.

Try memorizing the prayer I wrote or one of the phrases in it and return to your Breath Prayer as often as you can during the day. Make a game of it! How many times can you remember to breathe in God's Word to you? Three? Thirty? Three hundred?!!!!

Please share your experience with us in the Christian Soul Care blog...

1 comment:

  1. I certainly found the poem, repeated slowly and with the breathing technique, to be a way to get to where I want to be; that is, in closer contact with God; and away from where I do not want to be, that is, too caught up in day-to-day news, stock reports, sports! Not that those things are never good but they do tend to hook one (me) and I want to be hooked on God!

    I used the process you suggested in my following of "The Bible as Prayer" by Stephen Hough. Also, I used the breath prayer method to repeat the words I believe are rooted in the name God and Heaven, like:

    God...Selah
    Good...Selah

    Heaven...Selah
    Haven....Selah

    My breathing seemed to slow down markedly!
    I guess any tension I had, vanished in the breath prayer

    ReplyDelete

 

1995 - 2009 Crystal Cathedral Ministries.
Legal | Privacy | Contact | Top | Terms of Service