New Hope Get Help From Around the World

Soul Care

Share your thoughts with Dr. Bill in 1Community

Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Friend who Sticks Closer than a Brother

The Wisdom of Solomon says, "A person with many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother" (Proverbs 18:24). Do you have a friend like this?

The best and most faithful friend we could have is Jesus. The most important thing we can do in life is to cultivate our relationship with him. There are many ways to do this. Perhaps the most needed in our culture is to set aside a block of time simply to "hang out" with Jesus, just like you would with a friend.

"Jesus, what shall we do together today?" This is how I begin my Sabbath day, which is usually on Fridays.

Last Friday, Jesus and I went back to the ocean. We talked about many things as we walked on the beach and on the bluffs above. We sat together on a rock surrounded by water.

I prayed Psalm 131. I meditated on it and journaled from it. I imagined going to the Lord like a child just as David describes in the Psalm. I remembered Jesus saying, "Bring the little children to me" and I brought the boy in me to Jesus! I journaled from it. I sang it to the One I love. 100's of times over the course of the day I prayed a line I adapted from it: "Jesus, you are enough for me!"

Jesus wants to be our Friend! And he restores our soul when we spend time together as friends.

How do you cultivate friendship with Jesus?

3 comments:

  1. For me, while I believe Jesus knows my innermost thoughts, it is important to put my thoughts into words and spreak them quietly or think them clearly, as though expressing them directly to Jesus.

    This helps me have a greater sense of Friendship with Him and also helps me fully understand my true thoughts. By that I mean I know that often I may say I am happy or I am sad but those are fairly general easy words and spoken casually in most peoples lives, I think.

    It is important to really know what we are feeling and why. Often fully knowing why we are happy or sad is something some of us do not take time to elaborate to ourselves or sometimes we have too much going on to figure out exactly what we feel or why.

    I know I have have a good listener in Jesus.
    I also ask myself "what would Jesus want me to do" in many situations from spending a day to choosing whether to see a movie that a friend has suggested but I suspect to be questionable content. Checking with my "Friend Jesus" helps me know what to do and how to talk to my other friends.

    Though not as aware of Jesus throughout my day as much as I would like, I am getting there and I feel a stronger and stronger friendship with Jesus as I know I can depend on Him and I find myself stronger in trying to follow His guidance;Jesus is my Friend and I know He feels my frienship even if I have stumbled. He knows I know when I have stumbled and will not let myself fall again.

    As that wonderful hymn says "Oh, what a Friend we have in Jesus"

    J-M

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I know I have a good listener in Jesus." Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent this to a friend of mine because she commented on a 'Jesus wants to be your friend' tee-shirt' asking, "Who would wear that?" I said I would and attached this blog. God says His Word will not come back void; it's all not in vain. So all I can do is continue spreading His truth. Blessings....

    ReplyDelete

 

1995 - 2009 Crystal Cathedral Ministries.
Legal | Privacy | Contact | Top | Terms of Service